News Plane Crashes — 12 August 2017

A small airplane with four people aboard crashed after hitting power lines near South Valley Regional Airport, also known as Airport #2, in West Jordan Friday night.

Witnesses told Gephardt Daily the single-engine aircraft appeared to experience some sort of engine problem shortly after take off.

The pilot was attempting to return to the airport when he was forced to take evasive action to keep from striking abandoned rail cars parked on a nearby rail spur.

The plane then clipped electrical wires and crash landed in a nearby field.

Raw Video:

Two of those aboard the aircraft — 48-year-old male pilot and 28-year-old male passenger — were treated for injuries before being transported by ambulance to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.

Two others passengers walked away uninjured.

Read More: =>

Other News:
Two of the four people aboard a small airplane that hit a power line and then the ground in West Jordan Friday night were taken to hospitals.

West Jordan Fire Department personnel at the scene say the crash occurred around 6 p.m. near New Bingham Highway and Airport Road.

The small aircraft with four men on board had departed from the nearby South Valley Regional Airport but was returning to the airport for an unknown reason.

Video shot by Daniel Hart shows the plane descending before striking some electrical wires.

“I heard a really loud noise, like an engine or something, and I look out and there’s a plane maybe 30, 40 feet in front of me and it’s diving, swooping, and I kind of knew something bad was gonna happen,” Hart said.

Hart witnessed the plan go down from his garage. He captured the moment the plane hit some electrical wires, which was crucial in determining how the plane would crash land.

News video:

“The prop hit the lower voltage line below, which started to nose them down to the ground and then the tail hit the high voltage line above and then they slid sideways into the field,” said Reed Scharman, Chief Deputy with West Jordan Fire Department.

Hart said he saw a big dirt cloud after the plane crashed in the field.

All four male passengers were reported to be outside of the plane before firefighters arrived on scene. Scharman said the 38-year-old pilot and a 28-year-old passenger were taken to the hospital, and that the pilot suffered the most serious injuries.

The other two passengers, men ages 38 and 50, were able to walk away from the crash.

“Pilots have told me over the years, anything you can get away from is a good landing, wherever it happens to be,” Scharman said.

The FAA and NTSB will be investigating how and why the plane crashed. There was no fire or fuel spill. The only impact to the area was a brief power outage from the plane hitting the wires.

Read More: =>

Center map

161 Total Views 2 Views Today


About Author


(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons